Timing Analog/Mixed Signal IC Design Summer Intern 2024
Seeking an Analog/Mixed-Signal Design Summer Intern 2024 for developing complex mixed-signal ICs for Frequency Control, Clock Generation, and other Timing applications. Many of the ICs include phase-locked loops, sigma-delta modulators, ADCs, and various other mixed-signal circuits. The individual will design transistor-level analog circuit blocks, simulate sub-system performance, create and use behavioral models of blocks, do and/or supervise physical layout, verify circuit and chip-level operation and performance, and assist with tape-out related activities. Responsibilities will also include detailed documentation, silicon evaluation and debugging, production test development support, customer support, and other activities as required for the achievement of high-volume production.
- Analog/mixed-signal circuit and sub-system design, analysis, and implementation (including schematic entry, simulation, layout supervision, etc.)
- Development and use of system-level noise models for evaluation of system-level trade-offs. Improvement of the models and re-simulation throughout the design cycle according to simulated circuit performance to ensure spec compliance of the final overall IC
- Development and use of behavioral models for simulation of analog and mixed-signal circuits. Verification of analog and mixed-signal sub-systems and the entire chip using transistor-level and behavioral models.
- Laboratory measurements and validation of ICs
- Assistance with the development of efficient production tests and with customer support
The student should currently be studying for a M.S. or Ph. D. in Electrical Engineering
- Strong motivation to contribute to all facets of chip design from conceptualization to release to mass production
- Experience with analog and/or mixed-signal IC circuit design in a CAD environment
- Strong knowledge of analog/mixed-signal circuit concepts, simulation, and testing techniques
- Good verbal and written communication and presentation skills, positive attitude, and willingness to work on a team as a technical leader and mentor to junior members
- Working knowledge of UNIX, Matlab, and circuit simulation tools
Additional Skills (One or more of these are highly desirable)
- Experience/knowledge of analog/mixed-signal techniques used in clocking and timing ICs (e.g. PLLs, charge pumps, filters, VCOs, sigma-delta modulators, XOs, multi-format output drivers, system noise analysis, spur management, layout trade-offs, etc.)
- Experience leading other analog/mixed-signal designers, either formally or informally
- Experience with IO formats such as LVDS, LVPECL, LVCMOS, CML, HCSL, etc.
- Low-noise analog circuit techniques
- Low power design and implementation techniques
- High-speed, high-performance analog/mixed-signal circuit design techniques
- Experience with IC design at geometries ranging from 130-55 nm.
- Competence in high-level languages (e.g. Matlab, C), scripting languages (e.g. Python, TCL, Perl, SKILL), and version control systems (e.g. SVN, SOS)