Innovation Systems Integration Intern
At Cepheid, we are passionate about improving health care through fast, accurate diagnostic testing. Our mission drives us, every moment of every day, as we develop scalable, groundbreaking solutions to solve the world’s most complex health challenges. Our associates are involved in every stage of molecular diagnostics, from ideation to development and delivery of testing advancements that improve patient outcomes across a range of settings. As a member of our team, you can make an immediate, measurable impact on a global scale, within an environment that fosters career growth and development.
Cepheid is proud to work alongside a community of six fellow Danaher Diagnostics companies. Together, we’re working at the pace of change on diagnostic tools that address the world’s biggest health challenges, driven by knowing that behind every test there is a patient waiting.
Learn about the Danaher Business System which makes everything possible.
The Innovation Systems Integration Intern will support Innovation projects through the Technical Readiness (TRL) process. In this hands-on, Gemba focused role you will work with the Innovation, Engineering, Assay and Product Management inter-disciplinary groups to support how new technology capabilities are translated to new products in the form of consumables and instrument/systems, for early-stage in vitro diagnostic R&D. This role offers the opportunity to learn new technical skills across a wide variety of disciplines, cultivate a growth mindset for continuous improvement in all possible forms, build strong organizational savvy, and work on documentation and communication skills.
This position is part of the Technology and Innovation Department and will be located in Sunnyvale, CA. At Cepheid, our vision is to be the leading provider of seamlessly connected diagnostic solutions.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in activities to design and fabricate prototype consumable/fluidic assemblies
- Participate in activities to design and fabricate prototype instrument hardware
- Partake in technical problem solving on products and processes for developing products
- Conduct statistical (qualitative and quantitative) analysis of data to formulate insights.
- Maintain organized and complete documentation of activities, and provide regular updates covering progress, problems, and solutions
- Collaborate with Product Management and Engineering to incorporate human factors, user experience and customer feedback into product definitions and designs.
- Ability to toggle down to tactical actions and up to strategic opportunities, ability to connect new strategies to actions at the working level
The essential requirements of the job include:
- Technical background in one of the following (B.S. degree or degree in progress): plastics/consumables, mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, physical sciences, or biological sciences (specific to genomics)
- Demonstrated basic engineering skills (e.g. prototyping, coding, soldering, machining, CAD)
- Demonstrated basic wet lab skills (e.g. pipetting, vortexing, basic microscopy, safe handling of chemicals)
- Basic statistics knowledge, including proficiency in the use of Excel or Minitab for data analysis and presentation
- Comfortable operating sophisticated computer and instrumentation equipment/hardware
It would be a plus if you also possess previous experience in:
- Working knowledge of design of experiments (DOE)
- Understanding of real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
- Experience in a design-controlled, quality-systems driven environment including familiarity with FDA and ISO 13485 standards
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.