Summer Land Surveying Internship - Austin, TX
Who We Are
SAM is the nation’s largest combined geospatial solutions and inspection service provider in the industry. We use the industry’s most advanced software and hardware for collecting and analyzing complex spatial data across a wide range of markets and scientific disciplines. Our national reach, expertise, and applied technologies uniquely equip us to capture physical environments from coast to coast — delivering practical insights and high-quality spatial data with unrivaled speed and accuracy.
Your Impact at SAM
Are you ready to embark on a completely different world of surveying than what you have seen in class? Can you learn new technology on the fly? If so, this is the internship for you. Not only will you be able to explore the great outdoors and work with cutting-edge technology, you will have the unique opportunity to network with our leaders while working on projects.
- Efficiently and safely complete fieldwork by reviewing project plans from clients, engineers, and project managers
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the site by examining property records, deeds, and historical surveys
- Utilize survey equipment such as total stations, GPS receivers, levels, and data collectors to accurately measure distances, angles, and elevations
- Establish control points, benchmarks, and reference markers to ensure precise measurements
- Progress from fieldwork to data processing, where you will learn to utilize software like AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MicroStation, and other computer drafting software
- Process collected data, create maps, and generate comprehensive survey reports for clients
What You Bring to SAM
- Enrollment in a 2 or 4-year Land Surveying or Geomatics program
- Aspiring Professional Surveyor
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Passionate about the outdoors and eager to explore different terrains
- Familiarity with computer-aided (CAD) software design
- A positive attitude, adaptability, and willingness to learn and grow
- Join a rewarding internship where you'll gain practical skills, work on diverse projects, and contribute to shaping the world around us
- We'll pair you with our expert professionals to mentor and teach you the technical skills for success
- Show off your SAM pride with some SAM swag given the first day our your internship
- Have lunch with SAM's CEO/COO for a Q&A to learn more about SAM as a company and how to advance in your career
- Embrace professional growth by attending catered Lunch and Learns with industry-leading experts throughout your internship
- Opportunity to win a hefty $4,000 dollar scholarship by participating in our end of year intern project - enhancing your leadership, problem-solving, and presentation skills
- Opportunity to work part-time after internship
Our entrepreneurial culture is a key factor in SAM being recognized as a Top Workplace for eleven consecutive years, and we make it our mission to ensure every one of our employees learns how to build and manage a business, not just be the subject matter expert on the team. At SAM, our employee’s development is instrumental to our success. Your learning will be supported by specialized in-house training programs and mentoring by the industry’s leading experts, who just happen to be on our staff! We make SAM a GREAT place to work, but it all starts with YOU!
SAM is an EOE/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V. SAM also participates in the federal E-Verify Program.