Consumables Engineering Intern
At Cepheid, we are passionate about improving health care through fast, accurate diagnostic testing. Our mission drives us, every moment of every day, as we develop scalable, groundbreaking solutions to solve the world’s most complex health challenges. Our associates are involved in every stage of molecular diagnostics, from ideation to development and delivery of testing advancements that improve patient outcomes across a range of settings. As a member of our team, you can make an immediate, measurable impact on a global scale, within an environment that fosters career growth and development.
Cepheid is proud to work alongside a community of six fellow Danaher Diagnostics companies. Together, we’re working at the pace of change on diagnostic tools that address the world’s biggest health challenges, driven by knowing that behind every test there is a patient waiting.
Learn about the Danaher Business System which makes everything possible.
The Consumables Design Engineering Intern is responsible for supporting projects that will help drive innovation related to new product development of consumables components of diagnostic medical devices. This internship will provide opportunities to learn about Cepheid diagnostic medical devices and manufacturing plastic components at scale, and gain hands-on experience in the consumables design and development process.
This position is part of the Consumables Design Engineering department and will be located in HQ4-Sunnyvale. At Cepheid, our vision is to be the leading provider of seamlessly connected diagnostic solutions.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Use Solidworks to modify CAD for existing consumables designs based on functional requirements, FEA/CFD simulations, and DFM feedback, and work with vendors to prototype these designs for functional testing
- Work with various plastic materials to prototype existing consumables to test for enhanced functional performance
- Work with Consumables Design Engineering team to assist with ongoing consumables development projects
The essential requirements of the job include:
- Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Material Science Engineering, Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Must be proficient in CAD software such as Solidworks or equivalent
- Must be familiar with principles of mechanical design, mechanics of materials, and material behavior of plastics and metals
It would be a plus if you also possess previous experience in:
- Hands-on machine shop and prototyping experience
- Prior internship experience in a mechanical design role
- Familiarity in running steady-state, structural FEA simulations
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.